Oh Boy… Jalapeno Poppers!!!
But not just any poppers, these are more of a cheese dip with all of the ingredients in a Jalapeno Popper. Making these in a dip form lets you serve them for a crowd easier. You can make one big ball (Better yet, in the shape of a football, decorated with sliced cheese for the sewn seam of the ball and sprinkles of Panko bread crumbs to get the color right). I chose to make pre-dipped Fritos brand scoops.
I was serving up a Football party. Sadly, the one and out repetition of the KC Chief’s post season quest for another Super Bowl appearance became prophetic (we were robbed with that holding call in the 4th quarter, but I digress)… But these hit the appetizer tray as my guests arrived with all the optimism you could imagine. I wanted something they could grab a napkin, grab a couple of and move on to making plans for a football game in February.
Hand held cheese dip seemed perfect!
And it indeed was! Everybody loved these.
Keep scrolling down for this easy to follow recipe.
But first, for any big deal party (like a Chef’s appearance in a post season football game), What a great way to display those appetizers on this three tiered food tray. Make your party planning something special for the eyes as well as the taste buds. Your food deserves it.
And as I said, keep scrolling down for this easy to follow recipe…
OK… Here’s what I did…
Cheese Dip Bites
- 1 Pound Bacon, chopped and browned to just crispy
- 2 Bricks (16 Ounces) Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 Cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 2 TBS Mayonnaise
- 1 Cup (about 4-5) Minced Jalapenos
- 1/2 Cup Green Onions, Chopped small, green and white parts
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Bag Fritos brand Scoops
- Cook your bacon (oven method, in frying pan as you like). Once cooked, chop to tiny pieces, drain on paper towels
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using th paddle attachment, mix the Cream Cheese with the Mayonaisse until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the Minced Jalapenos, Cheddar Cheese, Garlic Powder and Green Onions.
- Continue to mix with the stand mixer until well combined, another couple of minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix for an additional minute.
- Lay out the Fritos Scoops on a serving dish. Scoop 1 rounded teaspoon of the fip into each scoop.
- Roll each filled scoop onto the Bacon bits to coat the top.
- Wrap loosely in cling wrap. Store in the fridge until ready to serve
- Serve with Chilled and ENJOY!
Cheese Dip Bites
Same as above… BUT, leave out the bacon. Roll in toasted Panko brand Bread Crumbs (I like the Italian version) instead of the bacon,
When serving at a party, I like to reserve some of the dip to make a few bites for my Vegetarian friends.