We are in full spring mode, which means time to start transitioning into lighter meals. My new discovery and my new favourite ingredient to add to any salad is buckwheat. This stuff turns regular salad into a meal. So I did just that to create my new favourite salad: the best, colourful and light, buckwheat salad with feta and tomatoes.
This buckwheat salad is basically my ideal weekday/night meal… it’s perfect for a healthy work lunch or a light dinner. The buckwheat keeps you full, while the tomatoes, cucumber and onion bring so much freshness to the salad and add just the flavour I was looking for.
What is buckwheat?
I actually just recently discovered buckwheat, which is a highly nutritious seed that is high in protein and fiber. It contains loads of vitamins and minerals and boasts numerous health benefits. Plus, despite it’s name, it’s gluten-free! That’s right, buckwheat is not a grain.
So what are some of the health benefits of this seed? Here’s just a few:
- promotes heart health –> lowers risk of developing high cholesterol and high blood pressure
- promotes digestion
- supports brain, liver and digestive health –> helps prevents digestive disorders
- contains antioxidants –> can help fight cancer or heart disease
- controls blood sugar and lowers risk of diabetes
Buckwheat is also really easy to prepare. It only takes about 10-20 minutes too cook (depending on the package instructions).
So what are you waiting for? It’s time to try this superfood in the best buckwheat salad with feta and tomatoes! If you are up for an extra touch of herbs, add some fresh mint of flat-leaf parsley and enjoy!
The Best Buckwheat Salad with Feta and Tomatoes
Fresh, colourful and light, the best buckwheat salad with feta, tomatoes, cucumbers and onions is the healthiest lunch or dinner this season. Loaded with superfood buckwheat, it’s gluten-free and packed with protein, antioxidant, vitamins and minerals.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 cup buckwheat, uncooked
- 1 (7-ounce) package feta cheese, crumbled or cubed
- 1 large red onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 large cucumber, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 handful fresh flat-leaf parsley or fresh mint (optional for topping)
- Cook buckwheat according to package instructions (approximately 10-20 minutes, depending on instructions). Drain on a colander and let it cool completely.
- Transfer cooled buckwheat to a large bowl and add all remaining ingredients. Toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve with some parsley or mint on top (optional).
- If you’re not a big fan of feta cheese you could try using grilled halloumi or a mild, crumbly goat’s cheese instead.
- Try not to use very watery tomatoes. If you do, I would suggest to put the sliced tomatoes in a colander (tossed with some salt) to drain out some of the excess water prior to tossing them in the salad.